By virtue of one certain deed, dated July 25, 1884, recorded in the Register's office for Cannon County, Tennessee, Deed Book #A2, page 586, from T. D. Elkins to the School Commissioners, the Elkins school was founded. It was a one-teacher school which was also used as a place of worship.
The men of the congregation conducted the services (prayer, singing, Bible study, communion and collection). Churches of the area usually held yearly revival meetings served by itinerant preachers. A note of Interest here is that when the treasurer of the church collected the monies (pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters), the money was placed in a cloth bag. When the revival was held, the preacher was given the contents of the bag -- the money was not counted. He was just given all the congregation had to give.
The only expense the church might have had was oil for the lamps. The women made the communion bread, and home-canned grape juice was used. The men furnished wood for the stove heat.
Circa 1899-1901, John Newton Elkins sent his teenage son, in a mule-drawn wagon, to bring Minister John T. Lewis to the ELKINS community to hold a tent meeting. It is reported that brother Lewis furnished his own tent and lights. The congregation of the church of Christ at ELKINS had its beginning from the converts of the tent meeting.
The old building burned, and a second building was erected in 1899. In 1938, the county decided to eliminate the small rural schools and consolidate. On December 20, 1948, a deed was made to transfer the school house building to the church of Christ for the sum of $100. The present brick building was erected in 1974. The annex was added in 1997.